Past Fire Chiefs
Ed Potts: 1961 - 1967
Billy J. Jaynes: 1967 - 1984
Cecil Medford: January 1985 - August 1986
John W. Jaynes: August 1986 - January 1999
William (Bill) Poole: January 1999 - May 2001
Richard (Dicky) Rogers: June 2001 - June 2009
Charles Wood: July 2009 - January 2015
Darrell Calhoun: January 2015 - May 2015
William (Bill) Poole: May 2015 - Present
The Junaluska Fire Department became a reality born on the dreams and work of the Junaluska Men's Club in September of 1961. It was that year that the Junaluska Men's Club voted to purchase a 1961 Ford 500gpm pumper from Burgess Fire Equipment Co. of Lenoir, N.C. for an approximate $12,000.00 price tag. The department was led by Chief Ed Potts, Asst. Chief Glenn Hipps and Capt. Marvin K. Smathers. The first Board of Directors were Willard Moody, T. Frank Davis, Hallett Ward, Howard Liner, and Mack Setser. Other brave men from the community formed the basis of the first volunteers, this group initially totaled approximately 30 men. The first JVFD department was operated out of a building built in October, 1961 behind Potts Esso station near Lake Junaluska.
Though the department has seen many changes since the days of old there is one thing that will hold true and that is the department will continue to work to provide the best protection for the community that is possible. This department WILL continue to strive to improve in every avenue of fire protection in the future. With the growth of our community, we must be committed to improving our equipment, training, response and dedication to this fine area of Haywood County. The department has seen major changes and improvements since the Men's Club meeting in 1961 and hopefully the future will hold nothing but fine changes for this department as well.
|Brush 18 - 1983 Chevrolet C-30 / E-One Mini-Pumper. 250 GPM Pump / 260 Gallon Tank. Now in service at Big Pine (NC) Fire Department|
|Engine 18-3 - 1979 Ford F-750 / Howe Pumper. 750 GPM Pump / 600 Gallon Tank. Sold to Camp Rockmont in Black Mtn, NC|
|Ladder 18 - Ladder 18 before it was refurbished in 2009. Prior to that it was a 1979 Sutphen. Prior to coming to Junaluska it served as Hicksville (NY) Tower Ladder 931.|
Tac 18 - 1998 Ford Crown Victoria / Donated by the Sheriff's Office. Used for support and personnel transport. Retired in 2014 and was used for training purposes.
|Engine 18-2 - 1988 Ford / EEI Pumper. 1250 GPM Pump / 1000 Tank.|
|Engine 18-3 - 1990 Ford F-800 / EEI Pumper-Tanker. 1000 GPM Pump / 1000 Tank.|